0161 976 3540
9 months ago
Location: Chard, Somerset
A local manufacturer is looking for a Category Buyer to join their team. The responsibilities will include to Guarantee purchasing performance for the commodity (working capital, Delivery, Contractual obligations, Costs) & manage the supplier base in order to obtain the necessary improvements to achieve the above and protect the company against unfavourable market trends
Category Buyer- Responsibilities would include:
- Guarantee: delivery, PPI, OTD, PPM/NCR
- Build Purchasing strategy plan and follow-up and monitor the sourcing action plans
- Participate in the elaboration of the global and local purchasing budgets
- Optimize working capital needs, decrease the level of inventories
- Consult, negotiate, select, and contract the supplier on every need of the commodity.
- development and delivery lead-time,
- frozen/flexible/forecast delivery schedule and MOQ/MDQ quantity. Provide 3 years volume visibility.
- Cost Reduction
- Rationalize the supplier panel to keep only the best suppliers.
- Develop and maintain a worldclass supplier base according to the group’s guidelines and principles.
- Manage their QCD Performance. Optimize supplier performance, including continuous improvement
- Guarantee that every Purchase Order is placed in line with the negotiated contracts
- Define and lead the purchasing actions to increase profitability of the projects
- Participate pro-actively in make-or-buy and outsourcing decisions. Help to define then implement the local, regional & corporate industrial strategies; give inputs to the « Make or Buy » processes.
- Manage as Project Manager validated Out-Sourcing projects
- Anticipate project needs: propose a strategy to any new project (Be involved upstream, guarantee Cost Control, planning, fulfil Project needs. Challenge the Bill of Material to propose price and cost reductions. Be the preferred point of contact for project buyers).
- Design and realize comprehensive industrial schemes to develop spend in Low-Cost Countries and improve TCO
- Mapping of actual spent (supplier mapping & supply flows, technology mapping, competition risks, know-how & technology shifts, Purchase Amount trends, shortage Impacts, Contracting and Terms & Conditions situation, obsolete management)
- Drive and monitor the selection process of new suppliers, from identification of potential suppliers, first contacts, to qualification, audits, assessments & contracting and up to the validation of processes
- Definition of the Sourcing Plan including a Supplier Reduction (SuRe) plan, nomination of a Core Panel Target Supplier nomination, structured currency strategy (€, US$), verification of their competences, capabilities & QCD levels and of development potential
- Negotiate frame agreements and supply contracts for the whole group
- Ensure the technical and market intelligence for his/her commodities
- Advertise the success stories and the best practices to build momentum
- Align purchasing strategies with the needs of the Group. By means of developing and involving engineering in a Technical Savings program, by means of challenging the Centre of Competence as well as the Project Engineering, and take part to the standardisation (parts / raw material) and to the design rule definition
- Participate proactively in improving the Group purchasing performance
- Up-date Commodity strategic Sourcing Plan at least twice a year, and present it for validation to the Commodity Steering Committee
Category Buyer– Person Requirements:
The employee should ideally have the following attributes to be proficient in their role:
- Working Hours – 37.5 Hours – Monday – Thursday 0800 – 1700 (with 45-minute lunch) and Friday 0800 – 12.30
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience
- Experienced in project purchasing, skilled negotiator
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Experience in managing and improving supplier performance
- Knowledge of end-to-end business process
- Knowledge of manufacturing cycle and procurement interfaces
- Ability to respond in a pressured environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Powerpoint