45000-55000 Per Annum
3 months ago
Health, Safety & Environmental Manager
Salary: Circa £45k - £55k plus excellent benefits
A large manufacturing company who specialise in sheet metal fabrication are now looking for an Health, Safety & Environmental Manager to join their team.
Health, Safety & Environmental Manager – Overview
To create, maintain and improve health, safety and environmental standards across both factories and be responsible for ensuring that health safety and environmental legislation is followed. Lead the promotion of a safe working environment through the implementation of procedures and systems to facilitate a culture of “safety first”.
Health, Safety & Environmental Manager – Job role and responsibilities:
- The HSE Policy and Procedures are reviewed annually and any changes identified to all necessary staff throughout the business. Update Company on relevant legislation and be responsible for its interpretation and adaptation to the Company.
- Promotion of health & safety awareness throughout the Company. Review safety suggestions received.
- Implement and maintain all aspects of the Health & Safety Management system, provide an effective and comprehensive service on Health & Safety to the Company and review responsibilities in the light of changing circumstances.
- Safe plant and machinery, and safe movement, storage and use of articles and substances. Ensure all new substances are assessed before arrival on site and details added to the COSHH register.
- Ensure that all Risk/COSHH/Manual Handling assessments are up to date and issued to all persons concerned.
- Maintain accident records and present information on accidents, ill health and dangerous occurrence/near miss trends to the Health & Safety Committee including RIDDOR reporting. Carry out accident/near miss investigations when necessary. Chair Health & Safety Committee Meetings are advice on Health & Safety matters.
- Monitor, coordinate and advise (in conjunction with the management team) on Health & Safety training in the Company.
- Proper and timely assessment of risks to health and safety, and implementation of measures and arrangements identified as necessary from the assessments.
- Provision of emergency procedures, first-aid facilities, safety signs, relevant protective clothing and equipment, and incident reporting to the relevant authorities.
- Liaison as necessary with other organizations and relevant authorities, and assistance and cooperation concerning audits and remedial actions.
- The workplace satisfies health, safety and welfare requirements for ventilation, temperature, lighting, sanitary, washing and rest facilities.
- Prevention and precautions against, or adequate control of, exposure to hazardous substances, and danger from flammable, explosive, electrical, noise, and manual handling risks.
- Surveillance and reporting on health and safety practices and systems including blood lead levels. Ensure all PPE to be used is suitable for the application it is chosen.
- Carry out health & safety audits/inspection of workplaces to ensure compliance with health & safety legislation.
- Highlight areas of high potential risk identified by statistics or accident investigations and advise senior management. Advise on potential dangerous or high risk issues when plant or work systems are being designed, initiated or reviewed.
- Participation in appropriate meetings between management, staff, recognised trade unions and HSE on health & safety matters.
- Implement and enforce permits to work for Contractors
- As a last resort, institute disciplinary action against persons who ignore Company safety rules and procedures.
- Conduct four safety inspections of the site per year following the Company inspection checklist.
- Prepare a monthly Health & Safety report to be submitted to the Operations Director.
- Maintain ISO 18001
Health, Safety & Environmental Manager - job requirements:
The ideal candidate must come from the manufacturing industry as a Health, Safety & Environmental Manager. You will also have the following skills, qualifications and experience:
- Hold a NEBOSH General Certificate or equivalent in occupational Health and Safety
- Experience with OHSAS 18001 (OR ISO 45001) &/or ISO 14001
- Member of IOSH
- Ideally have a strong manufacturing background.
- Working towards NEBOSH Diploma, NCRQ or equivalent in occupational health and safety
- Ideally hold an environmental management qualification such as IEMA, CIEH or NEBOSH
For more information please call Paul Gorton on 0161 976 3540.
LEAN Engineering Recruitment Ltd are acting as a 3rd party on behalf of our client. All applications will be held on our database for current and future positions.
We will endeavour to get back to all applicants but if you have not heard from LER within 10 working days then your application has been unsuccessful but please feel free to contact us for an update.