40000-45000 Per Annum
over 1 year ago
Health and Safety Manager
Salary: £40k - £45k
A local Plastic Injection Moulding company are now looking for a Health and Safety Manager to join their team.
Health and Safety Manager - Job Purpose
To provide a proactive, Health, Safety and Environmental support and advisory service to the business, whilst promoting a positive health & safety culture in the workplace, minimizing the impact on the environment, and ensuring the business and its employees comply with all relevant legislation and are compliant.
To ensure that all policies, procedures, practices, and standards are adopted and adhered to, to minimize operational losses, occupational health problems, accidents, and injuries and to ensure that the company is working as effective as possible maintaining high quality but also ensuring volume requirements are met.
Health and Safety Manager - Duties & Responsibilities
- Generic to Health & Safety and Environmental
- To be the first point of contact for all HSE issues and provide support, advice, and guidance in relation to all activities within the business.
- Develop, implement, maintain and review (on an on-going basis) all HSE systems & controls, policies, procedures, practices, and standards in line with current legislation or / and that are relevant to the business.
- Interpret, advise, and communicate at all levels on relevant changes / amendments to legislation and introduced standards, always ensuring compliance.
- Undertake regular site inspections and audits to check and monitor performance and quality against policies, procedures, practices, and standards and that these are being adhered to, escalating non-conformances and breaches in legislation to a director.
- Liaise and build relationships with relevant agencies, regulatory bodies, external consultants, contractors, local authority etc., regarding the provision of specialist services, as and when required to do so.
- Assess HSE training and development needs for employees on an on-going basis to ensure understanding and to raise awareness of all policies, procedures, practices, and standards either by delivering in-house training (including toolbox talks) or sourcing external providers.
- Ensure training records are in place, maintained and reviewed at regular intervals.
- Carry out the full range of HSE administrative processes, maintaining all relevant documentation in accordance with the role.
- Develop and manage metrics and data, providing reporting to management and regulatory bodies as and when required.
- Produce employee communications regarding relevant HSE matters i.e., newsletters, bulletins etc.
- Lead on all relevant and specific HSE projects.
- Project manage the introduction of any HSE accreditations that are required or are relevant to the company.
- Build strong relationships with internal and external clients.
- Keep up to date with relevant changes in UK and international legislation and initiatives.
- Consult and involve all employees in continually seeking ways to improve in terms of HSE.
- Carry out accident investigation and recording of all accidents, incidents and near misses, ensuring that any follow-up action is taken where necessary – including RIDDOR reporting.
- Implement, review and revise (as necessary) risk assessments / impact assessments, RAMS, safe systems of work, fire risk assessments, and method statements on an on-going basis, identifying potential hazards and risks and taking the appropriate action to prevent accidents occurring.
- Ensure that the appropriate PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and First Aid supplies are purchased at best price and issued accordingly under statutory / workplace regulations.
- Co-ordinate the work activities of contractors through permit to work and on-site meetings.
- Ensure all machinery / equipment installed is installed in a correct and safe manner (in conjunction with either the on-site engineer or the external contractor/s), and that periodic checks are carried out and recorded.
- To ensure that statutory testing of equipment is carried out at correct intervals.
- Compliance of LOLER / PUWER / COSHH.
- Co-ordinate new starter inductions to ensure that employees are fully informed of their obligations under HSE
- Investigate any complaints relating to health, safety, and welfare at work (working with HR where necessary) and initiating any necessary action.
- Determine ways of reducing risks in all areas of the business on a continuous basis.
- Identify areas of non-conformance and formally record, work as part of the team to identify corrective actions and ensure those corrective actions are effectively trained out to all employees.
Health and Safety Manager – Person requirements:
The ideal candidate MUST come from the Manufacturing Industry as a Health and Safety Manager. You will also have the following skills, qualifications, and experience:
- You will hold a NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety or Equivalent
- Member of IOSH
- Ideally have experience within a Plastics Manufacturing Environment (Not essential)